Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Kara, Were You Shaking the Table?"

So, it's just a relatively peaceful Saturday morning at the Johnson's house (please take the term "relatively" very seriously). My kids are eating their super nutritious breakfast of Fruity Pebbles at the coffee table with only minor arguing (ah, bliss) when suddenly it feels as though there is a giant person standing alongside our house giving it gentle shoves, back and forth... our cat Abby jumped off the couch and looked around like she was about to be attacked and I said to myself "Hmmmm.. that must have been an earthquake". Clay-Clay asks in his very accusing voice "Kara, were you shaking the table" and I took that as confirmation. Weird.

Apparently, there are earthquakes in AK ALL THE TIME. I felt one when we were in TLF but that's it to this point. Here is a link to a website that will show you all the earthquakes in and around Alaska in a given day. For your point of reference, we're in the "Cook Inlet Area" or "Eagle River".

Just some random info to get your weekend off on the right foot. Cheers!

UPDATE: Click here for the local write-up. The earthquake was 160 miles away from us and it was 100 miles UNDERGROUND. WHAT?!?!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

CRAZY, you are a trooper that is FOR SURE

Susan said...

We have apparently had a few quakes here that people have felt, but some how I don't. My equalibrium is so poor I guess I am always swaying...stay safe up there!