Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Give me a "C-O-L-D".. what's that spell? FREEZING!


I would have updated this blog sooner but I would have only been able to whine about the cold.  I know, this seems so obvious: it's cold in Alaska.  Well, that's true.. but there was some weather phenomenon that kept us below zero for 2 weeks.  You can't do ANYTHING outside when it's colder than zero.  Trust me.  When it's that cold, your nose hairs freeze after about 2 minutes. Fingers and toes hurt.. your face hurts.  Let's face it, it's practically dangerous (well, it seems like it should be if it isn't).  The coldest temp we saw in our car was -37 F.  Considering it is about 65 in our house, that's 100 degree differential!  WHAT?!?! 

Fortunately, it warmed up on Saturday (warm being figurative, above zero is now WARM).  As of today, it's in the mid-30s which made for an ice storm.  I'd take the below zero temps because at least school wasn't canceled and we could drive somewhat safely.  Ah, the weather saga continues...

This last weekend we headed to Girdwood and Alyeska for some skiing.  We went with some friends for a surprise birthday weekend and had a lot of fun.  There hadn't been new snow in a while at the resort so  the runs were kind of icy which can turn a 40# kid into a missile if the stars are correctly aligned... Fortunately, we all survived the trip and are looking forward to a return trip this weekend for better skiing on lots of new snow.   I wanted to tell you that it's been so cold that our camera batteries die when we take it skiing... maybe with the "warmer" weather in the low 20s and 30s, we'll have some success taking pictures of the kids skiing.

I'll leave you with some Alaska shots we took on our drive down to Girdwood on Friday.


The moon high in the sky at 4:18pm.  Believe it or not, this is a vast improvement for us.  For a while, it was like this at 3:30 when Kara got out of school.
This is the Cook Inlet.. our body of water in the area.  It connects to the Pacific Ocean.  We saw whales here in the fall.  It looks prehistoric right now with all the ice in the water.
Beautiful Alaska.  Cold Alaska.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cold...I would probably die...I am still wearing a jacket and it is 75 here. We cannot wait to see you guys!

Suzanne said...

I would probably die too. I still have think Arizona blood coursing through my veins ... I'll drink some coffee for you. :)