Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Off the Radar!

Greetings from Eagle River, AK, where we are presently losing about 5 minutes of daylight every day.  All this, of course, is working up to the famous Alaskan winter days where the sun is only out for about 5-6 hours.  Right now, we still have about 12 hours of daylight per day so it's not so bad.  Fall is in full swing and it is really cool to see leaves in all the colors I saw on TV and in magazines all my years living in Arizona and Texas.  It's also really chilly which is a novelty for now.

Sorry if we've been a little out of touch for the last week or so.  My mom, dad and Grandmother are in town for a visit and we've chained them down to work.  No, really.  My dad (Buzz) and Clayton built a storage room in the crawl space in our dungeon/basement.  I turned my dining room into a sweat shop where I've indentured my mom (Billie) and grandmother (Helen) to making drapes.  The good news is the house is looking fabulous.  The bad news is that they've seen none of AK.  We're leaving the house in our prison van today as a reward for their good behavior and productivity.

Thanks, too, for all the birthday well-wishes.  I wasn't counting on having a good b-day this year, our first in AK.  However, it ended up being a really good day thanks in no small part to many emails and phone messages as well as a fun lunch w/new squadron wives and kids.  Oh, and I got a really fun bag from my hubby which always improves these situations :)  

Photos to follow from our time away from the compound this morning.   

3 comments:

Sher said...

April, you are tripping me out with this post! Maybe I should hire your family to help me finish my apartment! Ha ha! JK! Glad things are getting set up! I know you will be glad when your home is finally fully home!

Filleman Family said...

Yes that is WONDERFUL . . . now can we have them back please :)

Can't wait to see your house. Hopefully next spring/summer.

kevin and mandy said...

Ah, Alaska. A part of Kevin's life I was not around for. He was stationed at Eilson AFB before we started dating. Thanks for the comment on our blog. Its cool to see all your pics.