Thursday, August 19, 2010

Whirlwind Life

So we went to Arizona for a quick end-of-the-summer/looking-for-sun trip. We had so many visitors this summer that we never really planned for our annual trip to the Valley of the Sun. It's been a pretty wet and not very warm summer in Alaska. We, all 4 of us, were ready for some Arizona sun and Arizona family. I've said it before, but we LOVE going home to Arizona. Nearly all of our immediate family lives within about 15 miles of one another. We get to hang out with our nephews and niece, the aunts and uncles as well as the grandparents. This summer was no different. We had less time but we packed in more fun than usual. We made Grayson's birthday party, a baby shower and a bridal shower. We invaded both grandparents' homes as well as the AZ Johnsons' house and Mark/Michelle's house. Seriously, everyone must sleep for a week after we leave. Then, I KNOW they spend that second week cleaning up after us. We had a great time as usual and we left Arizona with thankful hearts. We are thankful for the relationship we have with our siblings and inlaws as well as the relationships our kids have with their cousins.

The whole crew.. Filleman, Johnson and Saylor cousins.

The Filleman grandkids with Great Gram Boyd (my grandmother who we saw for breakfast the morning we got to town.. after flying all night and sleeping hardly-at-all).
(I was horrible at picture taking this trip because Clayton returned my first new camera and didn't get me replacement until we got home to AK.... sorry, i know you must be heartbroken.)

While we were in AZ, Kara got her hair cut. She had pretty long hair and it was driving her nuts. Somewhere along the line, she heard about Locks of Love and she decided she wanted to donate her hair. My favorite girl for hair cutting in AZ did the honors. Kara LOVES her new short hair and she is marginally disappointed that more people aren't noticing up here... I will say it's MUCH easier to take care of shorter and she looks adorable. I still need to send her pigtails to LOL, though.. (note to self, as I stare at the bag on my kitchen windowsill). Kara is pretty sweet and she is thoughtful (I'm not one of those parents who is quick to attribute desirable characteristics to their kids, FYI.. so trust me on this one). I think she might actually enjoy giving as much as she enjoys receiving so it was cool to watch her go through this process. I think we all sort of like thinking about a little girl getting a wig made out of some of Kara's hair :)
Before
Just before the cut...
After...

Right after we got home, Kara started 2nd grade. She is in class with 2 of her little friends who she has NEVER been in class with. I don't know a lot about her teacher but we trust that she's in the class she's supposed to be in. So far, two days in, she is excited about both the teacher and the kids in her class. That's good enough for me...

Her requested breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes...
Daddy and Kara before school.
Mommy and Kara before school.. she was tired of pictures at this point.
Obviously the next big day will be Tuesday, the 23rd.. Clay's first day of kindergarten. He met his teacher who happens to go to our church. She seems very kind and he responded well to her. I was pretty apprehensive because he tends to be a little "clingy" (I am understating the problem) but he did well. I have renewed hope. (As a side note, if you don't already know, we intended to keep Clay out of school for one more year since his birthday is early June.. however, on the advice of my MIL and his teacher last year, we're sending him next week. Clayton has NO backward looking on this decision which is strange for him so it's just me.)
If you're short on things to pray for (in addition to safe landings in fast, gray airplanes), you could add that to your list: Clay going to kindergarten. Pictures to follow.

This is Clay and Ryan just before "meet-the-teacher".. they aren't in the same class which is probably for the best considering they were karate kicking each other in the rain.


3 comments:

Susan said...

As always I love reading your blog, hearing your adventures and keeping up with you. I am also always jealous of your relationships with your siblings, in laws and cousins...I know you know how lucky you are, so I won't harp on it. :) So excited for both the kids and the start of school. Clay will do fine. Zach's bday makes him young too and he excelled, loving school and exceeding our expectations. Kara looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you all - we love your visits! The kids will do great in school - Clay will have a blast. Lots of love to you all!

Carrie said...

Love Kara's hair! Love it! And love her big heart! Our Clay is just like that too. Such a special quality.