Sunday, August 1, 2010

Checking In


I predicted only posting once a month and it seems like maybe that's the way it's going to go even though I had better intentions. This weekend finds us with our last scheduled summer visitor, our friend Michele from Texas. Her husband and son have been in Iraq for nearly a year.. her second son goes overseas sometime in the next several months. Needless to say, the girl needed a getaway. Not sure how relaxing her trip to Alaska will be, but we're having fun so far :)

The kids have had a pretty mellow last few weeks. They went to a VBS at Clay's old school and had a ball. I had a very difficult time trying to figure out how to spend my mornings without them for the week. It was really challenging, but don't worry about me. I'm a survivor. We've also spent some QT at the local museum. They have a cool area for kids and I had forgotten that I bought a family membership a while ago (I'm a sucker for family memberships at places, especially if they offer a military discount.... not unlike my suckerishness at a make-up counter). We went two days in a row last week and met up with various friends both days. Good times!!







On the schedule this weekend is the Arctic Thunder Air Show at Elmendorf. It was almost the air show that wasn't because a C-17 crashed last week. All 4 guys on board died. I didn't know any of them personally but I know lots of people who did. It's a total nightmare for everyone in the military. I can't even describe to you the feeling you get when you hear that a plane crashed on the base. Clayton was sitting right next to me when we got the call and my heart still seized up and my blood ran cold. Anchorage isn't that big and the military community is TIGHT. Pray for the families that are left behind. The guys were mostly young and they have young families.

Anyway, the air show has been a major item on our calendar for the last 6 months or so. Clayton is still sort-of a SnackO (snack officer)... the snacko is the guy who coordinates important things like the pilot slush fund, beer and snacks in the bar and t-shirts to sell at community events. We have been having BOXES of snacko gear delivered for months. And they sat around inside and outside my house for months. I was GLAD to see them out on tables for sale yesterday. Clayton hawked t-shirts, caps, shot glasses and F22 shells while I took pictures of kids dressed up like fighter pilots for a wive's fund. All day. It was fun but exhausting. May the 302 and 477 raise lots of $$$ today (Sunday) while I sit it out (sorry!!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kara looks so grown up all of a sudden. Very sad about the plane crash and will continue praying for all the families. We miss you all and cannot wait to see you next week!