Tuesday, August 24, 2010

We've Got a Kindergartner!!

So, Clay survived his first day of kindergarten. He hasn't been very excited about going.. mostly I think he didn't want to be gone all day. I don't really think he knows what that means but it sounded like too much to him regardless. He only asked to go back to Peace Pre-school once but it gave me pause, for sure. Thankfully, he got up this morning and he was rarin' to go. We had the now traditional "K" pancake and he was out the door. The kindergarten process for the first day is a little much. All these parents squeezing into the classroom with their cameras and expectations, it's no wonder the kids cry sometimes! Fortunately, there were no Johnson tears shed by either Clay or myself. I did tear up on Kara's first day but I knew that Clay had no significant margin for error. He walked right in, put his stuff away and found his seat. He never really looked back! I was so proud of him and SUPER relieved. The little boy next to him was crying and his parents were definitely NOT making the situation better.. SO, I took my cue and exited stage left. When I picked him up, he was all smiles. His big complaint was being starving.. they only have 30 minutes for lunch. Well, Clay is a leisurely eater, to put it mildly. He is NEVER to be rushed at the table.. for real. I think tomorrow will be a more "filling" experience for him at lunch :) He did great. He is not overly forthcoming with the details but I am listening in as he talks to Grammie and Kara, I'll figure out how it went one way or the other. All in all, I'm thankful for the answered prayer of a good first day of kindergarten. I didn't have great expectations so I'm more than happy with the outcome :)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Clay Clay! Wow, two kids in school...crazy! Looks like he did awesome - we are very proud of him. Love you guys!

Susan said...

So glad he did well and he is excited about it. You are such a great mom, always knowing what to do and what your child needs. :)