Monday, March 23, 2009

My Granddad Harold

My Granddad Harold Filleman died last week. He was nearly 89 years old. He was buried today near his home in Duncan, Arizona. I wasn't able to make it home for his service but I did see him about a month ago when I was in Arizona. He was really sick and his body was tired. My Grandmother Jeanette honored him in his wish to remain home and so she cared for him until the end. That selfless act on her part will be something I will always be grateful for.

Some of you had the privilege of meeting my Granddad Harold and you will agree that he was a cowboy's cowboy. I never saw him without his cowboy hat! EVER!! He loved ranching and did just that most of his life. He protected the coast of the United States on horseback during WWII as a member of the US Coast Guard. Even on our last visit with him, he talked about riding his horse on the beach watching for the Japanese. He was father to my dad, Buzz, and his two sisters, HarolDee and Melanie; a step-father to Eddie. There are 13 grandchildren and a slew of great-grandchildren. He loved my Grandmother. You could really see his affection for her as the years went by (or maybe I just noticed it more as I got older).. they loved one another and they cared for each other as well as they were able. My Granddad had a quick, witty sense of humor.

Here are some things that will always remind me of Granddad: tootsie roll banks like he and Jeanette gave us every Christmas; the smell of Marlboro Light cigarettes (he quit YEARS ago but I'll think of my Grandparents every time I smell one of those cigarettes for the rest of my life); "Big Daddy" mexican food; crawdaddy fishing; cattle ranching.. and the list is long.    My cousin Misty said this about him, "He was a real sweetheart and always a gentleman".  In my memory, he will always be tall, strong and genteel.

When we told Kara that Great Grandpa had died, her eyes filled up with tears and she immediately said: "I miss him". Me, too.

Me and Granddad 11/1972

My Granddad and Grandmother Jeanette
Me and Harold cutting the rug at my wedding.  
I could hardly keep up.


The US Coast Guard Hymn
Eternal Father, Lord of hosts,
Watch o’er the men who guard our coasts.
Protect them from the raging seas
And give them light and life and peace.
Grant them from Thy great throne above
The shield and shelter of Thy love.

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills-
 where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
 the Maker of heaven and earth
He will not let your foot slip-
 he who watches over you
    will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over
    Israel
 will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you-
    the Lord is the shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you 
    by day,
nor he moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm-
  he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your 
  coming and going
 both now and forevermore.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you guys and we love you all. We are sorry for your loss. I totally remember them dancing up a storm at your wedding...it was awesome.

Jennifer said...

I'm so so sorry April. My heart aches with you. Much love.

Skerrib said...

Sweet, honoring post about your granddad.

Melissa said...

We love you guys. I am so sorry. We will keep praying for you. That was very sweet, I haven't seen many pictures of him younger. :)

Susan said...

Your post made me cry...I am so sorry April for your loss...I know he will be dearly missed by you and your family. Your words were beautiful and I feel glad you shared them and I could learn more about this amazing man and his life. Love you and I am thinking of you...sending love and hugs along with prayers.

Suzanne said...

Still praying for you. I know this is a difficult time. Did anyone ever tell you how much you look like him? (I noticed it especially in the picture of you two dancing at your wedding.)