Monday, February 23, 2009

Things I've Learned Recently....

**Check your credit reports... you never know when your report will be "meshed" with someone else's.. and obviously, the ones they're pairing you with will have horrible credit. I am dealing with that and I think I'm about 80% through the process. No one stole my identity, thankfully.. it just seems like the data entry folks at Experian were careless. Of course, they didn't screw up their credit, just mine.

**Wine, cheese and dessert tasting is a new and innovative way to celebrate an upcoming birth. Who would have thought? I went to a baby shower for a friend up here yesterday and it was a blast. Of course, you put 20 wives whose husbands are away from home (between 3 months and indefinitely) in one room with lots of wine, cheese and fruit..you're bound to have a good time. And we are very congragulatory to Aree on her soon-to-be-here son ;)

**Apparently, you DO have to tell your 3 year old son not to use the trash can in the bathroom as a urinal. I did not know this. Clay tells me that he will "try" to remember to pee in the potty.

**Gone is gone. Whether your husband is gone for the work day, 24 hours or 3 months, the single-mothering can be greuling during that time frame. Yes, we're glad our husbands aren't gone to Iraq for 18 months with the Army. Sure, we're glad he's coming home in the next 18 hours/2 weeks/2 months! Of course I'm glad he has a job. But, it's still hard and not all of us signed up for these absences. (smile...smile)

**God is good... even in the middle of the large and small dramas. I'm trying to force myself to sing the "This is the Day that the Lord Has Made" song even as I type. Some days are better than others. This day is not so bad :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you guys! Yes, gone is gone and some days are better than others. I definitely agree that God is good and He will work it all out. So, why do you need to teach boys not to pee in the trash can...I never needed to be taught that!

Can't wait to see you all in a couple of months!

Filleman Family said...

Parker took off all his clothes to pee on our INSIDE basketball hoop the other day - seriously - what girl what find it amusing to pee any place other than the toilet and for any reason other than to relieve the need to pee - only boys - how does dna actually pass that long???

Susan said...

You are awesome April! I love your strength and faith and admire that in you beyond words.
Having a boy is always a fun challenge in ways that we never knew...of course you will tell Clayton of the trash story and he will laugh...Brandon always reminds me, Zach is a boy, it is a boy thing, or something along those lines...
The absence of your husband is always a challenge...I look back on Brandon's last deployment and think maybe I didn't do as much as I could have or planned to do with the kids...I am slightly disapointed that I didn't DO more...then I think, we survived...other than my thumb incident...we had a pretty good 4 months of nothing terrible happening...so I will take survival over mommy rocked and took us to Disney alone...that will never happen!

Melissa said...

Hey we love you too!!!! I often try to remember that song when dealing with my kids. :) I am sure you are doing wonderful. :)
I think their is A LOT of things that you didn't think you would have to teach boys, BUT you do.
Example, last night I am getting all my boys dressed for bed and LOGAN is walking around flicking my other boys wieners and saying "ting ting". And they are all laughing.

Sher said...

YOur stories always make me laugh! Little Clay is a mess! I love it!

Suzanne said...

Wow. Boys sure are different. I will say, however, that Lily has pee'd on the floor before, for random reasons.
Not quite the same, though.

Jennifer said...

I like this post :). Hilarious about Clay peeing in the trashcan. Sorry about your toe. And of course, it's tough for husband/dad to be gone. I really don't like it when people have to announce how much harder it could be if things were different. Love you so much and miss you a ton!