Monday, October 13, 2008

...and snow it goes!

We woke up this morning to a few inches of snow everywhere!  I think it has officially arrived. Naturally, Clayton is painting the garage floor so our cars are parked in the driveway for the next 4 days?!?! (I have questioned his timing on this repeatedly)  Clayton was supposed to have today off (it's Columbus Day) but he ended up having to go into work (of course he did!).  We only have one car right now, the Tahoe is at the dealer.  SO, getting to the point of this post, I had my first experience driving on the icy roads after I dropped him off at the squadron!  This is something I learned about the roads in Alaska once the weather arrives... the road crews only clear off the top layer of snow from the roads so what we end up driving on is a layer of ice, sand, salt.. whatever. Who knew?  Another thing that I learned: once the snow comes and stays, we all say good-bye to lane markings until the big thaw (break-up in the Spring).  Anyway, they're always going to be fairly treacherous and I'm driving like an old lady.  My new motto is "45, stay alive".   Fortunately, however, I made it home safely and without incident this morning.  We are waiting on our studded tires to come in.  Once we get those on the cars, I think driving won't be so bad. My learning curve is turning out to be pretty steep as it turns out :)  

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Hee-hee
Native Arizonan driving on the icy roads of Alaska ... gotta love it.
Now I have something to add to my prayer list. :)
Love you!