Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Alaska the Beautiful (and cold...and getting darker)

Baby, it's cold outside!  It was 2 degrees when I took Kara to school yesterday morning.  It's been sunny and clear, not snowing for the last few days.  I got a glimpse of my favorite Alaska sight, the Sleeping Lady.  There is cool mythology behind this mountain that looks like a lady laying down. We can see her on a clear day, coming down one of the roads here in Eagle River. I'm going to attempt to paste in a fabulous picture:



I hope you can kind of see her.  It's very cool.

We have lots of crunchy snow in our yard and I think it's here to stay because we are no longer getting direct sun in our front yard.  As long as there are no clouds, I have direct sun coming in through the windows in the back of the house (my bedroom, kitchen, dining room, family room) from about 10:00AM until almost 3:00PM.  They say it won't be long until we're not getting any direct sun!  Obviously, this is something I never thought about until we moved here. In fact, I spent most of my time keeping direct sun OUT of my windows to keep the temperatures more bearable!!  The sun isn't up in the morning until 9:00AM and it sets about 6:00PM.  Our shortest day, and I'm told as light as it gets is like twilight, will be about 6 hours on December 21.  After that, we gain a few minutes of daylight every day until June 21.  

We're nearly knee-deep in Halloween preparations.  I think I'm going to be on my own with the pumpkin carving because Clayton is working late this week and pulling a 24hr shift on Thursday.  I may just let the jack-o-lantern slide this year if my kids don't ask about it! (another point towards "mother of the year")

1 comment:

Jenn said...

So did you get the pumpkins carved? I liked the little bit of sunlight; HOWEVER... I only had to endure it for a week! I love the photo of the mtn. How was trick or treating there?