Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mom of the Year.. It's Mine!

Today was a fun day (at the beginning anyway)!  We went to see Kitt Kittridge: An American Girl with Kara, a friend, and Clay-Clay.  Kara has been wanting to see this movie for a while now. She's a fan of the entire American Girl's collection and spends a fair amount of time shopping the catalog.  It's pretty fun to watch her shopping gene develop, though I can't figure out where she got that!  Clay-Clay wasn't too sure about seeing a "girl movie", he kept asking if we could see "The Larry Boy Movie" (it's on DVD at our house).  At any rate, the girls had a great time at the movie and Clay made the most of it by eating lots of swedish fish and popcorn.


Kara and Ariel took their dolls to the movie, even!

So, you're probably asking yourself  "Does April really think that she's getting MOTY just for taking Kara to see a movie?"..well, of course not!  THIS is what is sealing up that deal.  After the movie, we went to the BX mall at Elmendorf to meet Ariel's mom.  The kids got to play on the indoor playground and eat Starbuck's coffee cake for lunch :)  When I was getting the kids ready to go, we waited on Kara to find her shoes and Clay started to race off from me.  He'd go about 20 feet and turn around and come back.. then he started to make mini-laps around the dining area (think food court) and return to me.  Well, then he didn't come back and I lost sight of him anywhere.  I knew he wouldn't go too far only because he's a full-on momma's-boy right now. .. so where was he??  Kara and I wogged (jog/walk) all around the last place I had seen him but no Clay-Clay.   Now I wasn't just irritated, I was getting scared.  I could see myself boo-hooing on Oprah about how you can lose your kid if you just take your eyes off for one second (you moms know that talk-show cry I'm talking about).  I don't see Clay anywhere nor do I hear him screaming for me.  I only had a few options before I needed to get other people looking for him as well... (remember, we're on an Air Force base so it is maybe a tiny bit safer than losing your kid in a regular mall or WalMart).  Just as I'm about to go find someone, I see Clay's head racing INTO the building from the parking lot, followed by a hefty gentleman who isn't looking amused.  I grab him and try not to rip his arm out of its socket as bigger-guy-not-in-uniform (whew!) tells me Clay was in the PARKING LOT!  I don't even remember what I said because we left the BX at warp speed.   Here's a picture of Clay dreading his meeting w/me at home in the car:


Poor Clay.. he got a pretty good "talking-to" when Daddy got home (if you catch my drift).  This isn't the first time he's done something like that and we're trying to get him to feel at least a tiny bit of "danger"...  

Anyway, I thought I'd share the latest with you all.  We're supposedly about 12 days out from closing on our house.  I'll be honest.. I don't know if I can take TLF for 12 more days.  Our current neighbors are AWFUL!!  They make SO MUCH NOISE!!  Especially after 9:00 at night.  I know we're not the quietest but at least I try!!  UGH!!!!!!!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh April! How awful! Carley did that to me at the zoo about a month ago. One minute we were all looking at the monkeys and the next I couldn't find her. Where was she??? Rolling on the bench in front of the rhinos! Ugh! Indepedence is good, right??? :)

Callison Update said...

I'm just wondering what you told Clay-Clay about why you were taking his "in trouble" picture! He does look appropriately pathetic, though! Cute kid. And Kara is looking so much older these days! She and Claire have the same American Doll - Nellie. Claire was excited about that! Happy closing day...10 days and counting....

Suzanne said...

Lily's done that to me at Wal-Mart ... running out of the restroom while I'm still washing my hands.
She also darted away from me at Kohl's a couple of weeks ago and I had to get a sales associate to help me find her.
Is it something about the age?
Hey, unrelated note: I thought of you today and I prepared an Herb Crusted Pork Loin from a Paula Deen recipe ... I think you made that once and brought it to the Talleys - it was heavenly. :)