Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bear in the road!

Here's a little random piece of advice should you find yourself driving any given highway or road, really, in Alaska (or on your way to Alaska):  if you come upon a bend in the road where cars are stopped, blocking traffic or both, get out your camera..there are probably animals near by.

Today we found that (again) to be the case.  We were taking a drive up Arctic Trail and we saw some cars stopped DEAD in the middle of the road.  Fortunately, I had the camera and I immediately whipped it out.  Once we got a little closer, this is what we saw:


A baby black bear eating flowers! He was pretty little and we were surprised that his momma didn't come out to regulate all the cars stopping to look at her baby.   It was pretty cool and our kids didn't want to leave him.   They really look so sweet and you really want to pet them.. but you know better.

We continued on our upward journey, looking for a trail head.  However, once we found said trail head, we read the "CAUTION:  THIS IS BEAR COUNTRY" sign and decided that we probably weren't prepared to be hiking unmaintained trails at 6:30 pm with our two kids...

Nevertheless, we saw some other cool sights:

Today was a beautiful day.. the sun was out and everything!  We enjoy sunny weekends when Daddy's around to hang out with us.

Also, in case some of you read my other post and said to yourselves:  "Gee, I think April might be acting just a little dramatic about TLF.  You can't buy homes from a Sears catalog", I offer you this:

 This is where we're living.  Do you believe me now?  Or do you still think I was being dramatic?  Oh, and yes:  it's 2 stories.  So imagine with me, if you will, the noise associated with 2 children bounding up and down the stairs all day long.  It's as bad as you think :)


3 comments:

Susan said...

As always thanks for making me laugh! The TLFs look nice and crappie and I did beleive you after the junk the AF has made me live in during my 8 years. Glad you are able to get out and venture around...looks so pretty. I miss Harry too, but I think he checked out before he had to go to the cold land...he was smart like that. Love you!

Tina K said...

Wow. Your TLF looks oddly similar to an airplane hangar. I don't like in a tin TLF but I can assure you that my house is as loud as yours. FOR SURE! Can't wait to see pics of your new home.

Tina K said...

Oops, I meant "live", not "like in a TLF". Dang typos!