Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy Fall, Y'all!

Greetings from Alaska the beautiful! After a grisly summer (read: rain, heater running, dreary days) weather-wise, we are having a LOVELY fall complete with sunny days, warmish (60s) temperatures, changing leaves and happy Johnsons.

Last weekend was my birthday. It was my 9th anniversary of turning 29. I have never really had issues with my age but this birthday made me feel old. When my mom was my age, I was 16! Thankfully, there are certain treatments that make me look not so old all the time (wink, wink). I had a really great weekend. We went to Girdwood for the day on Saturday and we hiked the North Face with the Sutterfields. In fact, Clayton flew down there with Kevin while Kamdon and I drove the girls in the car. It was a great day. Sunday was far less active but great, nonetheless. Kara and Clayton made me breakfast in bed (egg and bagel sandwich). On Sunday night, we went to the coolest place in Anchorage.. it's an old steak place, Club Paris, that is caught in about 1976 both musically and decoration-wise. It's awesome!! Dark, wood paneling, pleather seats, low lighting, fabulous tunes and super-yummy steaks. Kamdon booked a sitter so the 4 adults could eat out in peace. It was a great day . Thanks to everyone who called, messaged and facebooked. I felt celebrated, for sure.

Meanwhile, the 2010-2011 school year marches on. Due to a variety of factors, our kids aren't doing AWANA this year.. mainly that is due to it moving to Sunday nights, one of the few nights Clayton is generally at home. SO, Clay is having a break and Kara is doing Heritage Girls, a Christian-focused take on girl scouts. She is also in choir.. we are considering a keyboard (the horror!!) for piano lessons as well. We're staying busy. Even I am managing to stay busy during the days that BOTH kids are in school. Granted, some of that time is spent riding the bike trails in Anchorage with the bike mafia we have going (a group of moms who bike like mad). I LOVE it!! We have to do something to keep in shape until the snow gets here and we can XC ski. The fall is flying by....

Oh, and Fokker... well, he's working a lot.. he always works a lot but it's even more frantic these days. Prayer arrows with his name on them are always welcome :)

Kara and Ainsley hiking at Girdwood on 9/11.
The kids and mommy on my birthday...
Hanging out by Eagle River 9/14...it looked more fall-y in real life..
Clay at Eagle River.
Karen and Kara 2 weeks ago..
My awesome new painting that Kamdon and I finished today... it's based on a painting at a local restaurant here in Anchorage. I have always LOVED the painting because it reminded me of home (Arizona) with the pool but it's so Alaska with the polar bear. Kamdon helped me figure out a way to get the general idea (my own) onto a canvas on my wall!! I LOVE it !!!!! Kamdon put on little cactuses (it's acceptable to say cactuses OR cacti according to Mrs Theibert, my HS humanities teacher, so there) to really give it the AZ feel.

We're all loving Alaska this time of year.. all that's missing is you!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture - very cool. It looks and sounds beautiful in AK right now...very jealous. I am waking up in night sweats here! Glad you had a good b-day. Miss and love you all!

Susan said...

Love the painting!!! So glad your 29th was so great!!! Hugs!

Carrie said...

Happy late Birthday, Friend! And love the painting too!