Monday, September 27, 2010

Our Life in Pictures

Hello from an officially fall/winterish Alaska. Yes, folks, our winter is en route. It snowed yesterday (Sunday, September 26). I was teaching in the 4/5 year old class at church and one of the dads ran in and was shouting (no exaggeration) to his kid that it was snowing. All the kids and I ran to the one window in the room and sure enough, we saw the flurries. It built up to the point that it was a mini-blizzard by noon. Fortunately, the ground is still warm so there was no stickage.

In other news, my friend Greta was in town for 5 days last week. We hadn't seen each other since we moved to AK so we had a lot of ground to cover. The thing about those kinds of friendships, though, is that even if it had been 10 years since we'd been together, we pick up right where we left off. We had so much fun. Pictures below :)



Here are some pics of Kara's class field trip to Campbell Creek. The 2nd graders in all of Anchorage do a year-long project where they harvest salmon eggs, nurture them in the classroom and then set the mini-fishies free at the end of the school year. This trip was to harvest (and fertilize!!) the salmon eggs. It was really cool to watch..
Kara and her friend Olivia.
The biologists getting ready to "harvest" the (dead) female salmon's eggs. It was kind of gross, to be honest. But the fertilization part was much grosser. By far.
When Greta came to town, we took advantage of the warmer (50s) weather and relative sunshine every day. This day was a hiking trip up Mount Baldy with the kids after school. I am a genius and I brought 2 friends for the kids.. that significantly cuts down on my kids' complaining but it significantly adds to the feeling of cat herding. They did great and it was beautiful.
Greta and I at the top of Mount Baldy. It was pretty chilly. We rewarded ourselves with a lovely pizza dinner and brownies. We are very good at rewarding ourselves with food. Been doing it for 20 years now :)
Clay and Ryan at the top... they were feeling just fine :)
Another day, we went to Girdwood/Alyeska to hike on a 5 mile trail that leads to this huge gorge where you can pull yourself across using a hand tram.. what that is is a basket hanging onto a relatively thin cable that you tow yourself across using a rope.. the hike was beautiful and we ended up running into some other friends and their kids. It was another awesome day.
Another awesome thing we did when Greta was here was taking our bikes out to some AWESOME bike trails... it's usually a cross-country ski trail in the winter, complete with green and black runs for skiiers. In the non-snow time, you can bike. We had a BLAST. My bike was made for this kind of riding (thanks, Fokker). So much fun. We again rewarded ourselves with an early (11:00am) happy hour at a local mexican food joint. Good times.

One night, Clayton took the kids and we met up with a bunch of friends at a restaurant downtown (Sullivan's). It was so much fun for me to introduce my new Alaska friends to one of my oldest friends (you know what I mean!!). We had a fabulous time without the kiddos. Thanks to ALL the dads who kept their kiddos so the moms could go out on Friday :)
This is Christy, me, Christen and Greta.

Proof of the random September snow shower... a lovely preview of what is sure to come.


Greta's trip was pretty successful: she saw a bull moose up close and personal, bear tracks at the river (fresh), a bald eagle (but no bear)... experienced the first snow and a 5.4 earthquake. Not bad for 5 days! I'm sending a big shout out to her mom and dad and her husband Jason. I love you guys and thanks for freeing Greta up to come to Alaska. We had a great time. I love you, friend! Thanks for coming :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome that she was able to come - looks like it was a great trip. I am so jealous about the weather - it is miserable here...seriously. Miss you all!

Filleman Family said...

That sounds so fun. Can't wait until our trip makes the blog!!!! You look B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L (that is how my 20 yr old friend exaggerates on FB:) in that last picture with Greta!

Susan said...

That is awesome...love that last photo of you both! So glad she got to visit, now is it my turn yet????? I need to get myself up there, but South TX seems so far away! I miss you guys...

Sher said...

I love how you guys "rewarded yourselves" after your outdoor adventures! He he!