Monday, March 8, 2010

Alyeska!


We are off to a running start for Spring Break '10. We just returned from a quick trip down to Girdwood to ski Alyeska. We haven't skied as much this year (it doesn't seem like) as last year so we were excited to head down for an overnighter last night. Even better, our friends the Sutterfields, the Feuchts, and the McNeils were all down for the night as well. Sunday afternoon was the best skiing we've had since moving to Alaska.. it was clear skies, warm weather (20s) and lots of new snow. The skiing was so awesome, I didn't take a single picture :) Seriously! And we were so proud of Kara and Clay who immediately rode the tram to the top of the mountain and skied down blue runs all day long. Myself, I have bruises on my shins and the most sore calves in the history of these legs! I am, obviously, a horrible skier because I have sore calves.. everyone else says their quads get sore. NOT ME! I think it's from keeping a mini-snowplow going 90% of the time.. skiing with 2 kids is an adventure, for sure. I go in front, Clayton comes down behind and makes sure the mountain is Johnson-free before we get back on the lifts. We were thankful for safe skiing once again. Clayton even managed to get in some "hard core" runs w/Motor.. Good times!

We also managed to get in some swimming and dining with our friends.. the kids had a blast and so did we!! Monday we had planned to ski all day but we woke up to a blizzard. Literally. The mountain was closed except for a few runs so we decided to hang onto our lift tickets and just get home... I say this all the time.. But we are so thankful for our friends in Alaska. We've always had good friends in the places we've lived.. But for some reason, it seems like our friendships in Alaska have been extra special in that they all just happened right as we moved. They are obviously a gifts from God to us and I am so thankful.


Clay in front of a random sculpture in the hotel lobby.
Ainsley, Kara and Ariel in the hotel pool...

Clay and Hunter (aka the Jedi Master to Clay-Clay.. he absolutely adores Hunter and Hunter is so sweet to Clay and the other little guys even though he is almost 10!)

Clay-Clay and I waiting for Clayton to bring the car around..
Kara and Mommy (who is in need of some anti-wrinkle eye cream, apparently)
So this is what was taking so long.. Clayton said there was about 16" of new snow.. and he had to dig the car out.. at least that's his story and he's sticking to it!
Kara and Clay heading home... No, Clay didn't have a jacket. It was almost 40 which is a regular heat wave. Seriously.

Last, but certainly not least, a picture of April and Mustache March.. Yep, Clayton's giving in to the peer pressure of mustache March yet again. It is his idea to take pictures periodically to monitor the progression. Posting them on the blog is my idea. Revenge can indeed be sweet.








4 comments:

Erin said...

Looks like fun! (OK, but not really. I'm angry this week because it's not supposed to be above 60) But I'm glad you're enjoying it! Also, I LOL'd at Kara's face in the swimming pool picture. Too funny.

Melissa said...

It looks like you had so much fun, we are so happy for you guys!! Sometime we will have to ski together. If this makes you feel better (it shouldn't since I'm not a skier) but I still have blisters on my calves from skiing. I think I had on the wrong size boots on, calf pain seriously sucks.
I think you look beautiful in the pictures! We love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun and glad that spring break has started off so great! My whole body hurts after skiing...calves and everything. I am sure you are awesome!

Carrie said...

I seriously think "Mustache March" is the worst idea and excuse for fun I've ever heard!