Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Blogging Slacker

I don't know what my problem is with keeping up the blog lately!! I don't really have a good excuse.. so I'll just go with good, old-fashioned laziness. We've had a ton going on since we got home from AZ.... First and foremost, Clayton came home safe and sound on Sunday. After almost 2 months in Guam, he's back in AK. He has a few days off from work so we're cramming in all kinds of fun stuff (pics to follow). Clayton is having some issues with acclimatization here in AK. He's always crying about how cold it is. I'm trying to cut him some slack.. (but really, these 60 degree days are going to seem downright HOT in a few weeks)

Tonight we met Kara's First Grade teacher.. It's almost impossible for me to believe that my little girl is going into first grade! I have vivid memories of my first grade year and teacher so I pray that this year is as good for her as it was for me (100 years ago). The good news is that her teacher seems really kind. The better news is that neither of the "mean girls" are in her class this year. As Clayton pointed out (WHY!?!), there will always be people who aren't kind in your class. But for me, and for Kara, too, we're glad to have a small break in the drama.. perhaps there will be no mean girls in her class, right?! She starts school next Tuesday:) 

We have been biking and hiking like crazy... it's crazy to see how much the kids' endurance has improved over the summer. Kara and Clay hiked almost to the top of Flat Top Mountain yesterday. It used to seem like a really hard hike but the kids did AWESOME! THEN, today, Clay-Clay and Kara biked about 10 miles at Eklutna Lake. I'm also sticking some pictures of a hike we did with some friends last week to Hatcher's Pass. There's an abandoned mine there as well as a "secret" lake. We'll definitely put Hatcher's Pass on our list of things to do when visitors come to AK. It is BEAUTIFUL!! Our summer is basically over up here and leaves are already starting to turn. I'm thinking our first snow was in early October last year... YIKES! However, I am ready for the snow, Clayton bought me new skis on Sunday!! We'll definitely go skiing if you come visit during snowy season (more shameless plugs for visitors).

Kara, Clay, Ainsley and Chase in the old mine car thing.  It was COLD!
The "secret" lake at Hatcher's Pass. It's on the top of a mountain.. random but pretty,
Almost every night Clayton was gone, the kids and I would either walk or bike to Kara's school.  Kara's big goal was to do the monkey bars down and back on her own.  She has mastered it!
Biking today at Eklutna Lake.  This is Clayton. He's very skinny from Guam.  He decided to go on Atkin's.  He ALWAYS comes back from deployments skinny.  Why?
Clayton teaching the kids to skip rocks.  I think Kara got one to skip twice.  Mission accomplished.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - glad you are back on the blogging train! Looks like things are good, which is nice to read. I am very jealous of the weather! Love you guys!

Filleman Family said...

So not acceptable! He leaves you home alone with two kids where treats are necessary to get through the day and then he goes on atkins and comes home skinny - he has some nerve :) Cute pictures of he kids - we miss them!

Cynthia said...

Love the pics! Um WHY?!?!?!? would Clayton go on Atkins. I can clearly remember him going on and on to me about how unhealthy that was, the ketosis and all. Additionally, he wasn't fat! ?????