Thursday, December 17, 2009

CrAzY MoMmY!!!!



I thought I'd drop in and do a quick post before life gets even more crazy around here. We had a really busy week last week.. a really snowy week so far this week. And tonight, Grandma and Grandpa come for the next 12 days!! I am not quite ready but I have until 7:00 tonight :) I do better under pressure (at least that's what I keep telling myself). Yesterday, if you will allow me to vent (but it's my blog, I can vent if I want to!), was one of those days. We've probably had a good 2 feet of snow over the last 48 hours in Eagle River. If you're like me (prior to living here), you think "Get a grip, April. It's Alaska! What do you expect?" Well, actually, it's Alaska, you are correct on that point. However, we generally don't get dumped on like that so the city and the snowplowers can't keep up with the snow when it comes in buckets. That means driving conditions, even for here, are poor at best. I got stuck yesterday taking Clay to school. I knew enough to know that I wasn't going to get myself out so Clay and I ended up walking the last .5 mile (uphill, in the dark, while snowing) to his school. We were both a mess when we got there. Fortunately, the pastor and another dad took it upon themselves to extricate the Tahoe without calling the tow truck (my idea). I was thankful God provided them. It saved me some $$ for sure. But my pride took a nice beating in the process :) Once I finally got home, I stayed home! Oh, and before you ask, NO! OUR TAHOE IS NOT 4WD! We bought it in Texas before AK was even a blip on the radar. And, NO! We're not buying another car right now. We are enjoying not having car payments.. I now have a tow strap and chains in the car so I'm pretty much ready for the next time. And YES! I know how to put the chains on. OH! One more thing, AT&T cell customers (of which I am one) had no cell service in the state of AK yesterday, to answer any lingering questions you might have had :)

I actually feel better after the rant. If I learned one thing, it's that God is indeed faithful in the small details and that he provides in His own way (my idea was for him to pick my car up and plop it at the top of the hill in a miraculous fashion..) and it met and exceeded my needs for yesterday, like always. BUT, if you are feeling sorry for me, remember it when you see a mom out by herself who needs an extra hand.. at the airport, the grocery store (shoveling snow for the 6th time in 48 hours..)! Even if her husband is in the state, if he's not there and she needs help, give it! I have had so much help from people the last few days with this weather and Clayton being away.

I digress... We are really looking forward to Anne and Mike being here this Christmas. My good friend Karen from Denver will also be with us on Christmas and we're happy to provide a White Christmas for the visitors. My kids have been counting down days since December 1. They are excited for an audience while skiing and sledding. I'm excited for some extra hands as I have done very little wrapping of gifts and no baking :) This is not my Christmas letter post so I'll shut up for now.

Here's a photo journal of what we've been up to the last week or so :)

Us before the first of 2 Christmas parties..
Kara and I going to a tea at church on Saturday morning. Clay was clearly going to enjoy his lounging morning at home with Dad (they went skiing later).
Clay and Kara watching Christmas movies. A rare moment of close-quartered seating without hitting, kicking, whining and tattling.
Our backyard after big snow #1.


Our back deck 8 hours later, the next morning.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had a rough week (it sounds rough and wow on the snow!), but eventhough you had a rough week...you and Clayton look hot in your pics. Dropped my parents at the airport today - they are very excited and I am sure my dad will be in rare form. He says, "I know the kids are going to say, "It is time for Papa to leave - he drinks too much beer." Ah, gotta love him. Have fun! We love you all!

Filleman Family said...

You look BEAUTIFUL in that picture with Clayton! I can hardly make it through the day right now - if I added snow to the equation of loading and unloading three children in three car seats I'm pretty sure I would drive off a glacier or something :) Wish we could see the kids at Christmas - looking forward to February!

Cynthia said...

I will be more aware of moms that need help for sure! You guys look dashing in your pictures and I'm super excited for your white Christmas with the grandparents.

Amy Filleman said...

Wow, such beautiful dresses! Who ever do you have do your shopping??