Friday, November 6, 2009

Mother of the Year.. It's locked in.

I know all of you out there who thought you had a good shot at mother-of-the-year are going to be severely disappointed to hear that it's officially mine. Yep, that's right. You all lose and I win! Why? you ask.. well, for starters, we arrived at Clay's school this morning, on time, only to find everyone wearing their pajamas. WHAT!? How did I miss that memo?? Oh, it was in a note in the backpack that I kept forgetting in the back of Kamdon's car. Easy mistake to make. So, I'm looking at Clay who is losing his composure by the second.. I can see that my suggestion of "Who cares! You can just wear your regular clothes" was the wrong thing to say.. So, I say the next best thing "I'll go to Walmart and buy you a pair. I'll be right back". Also the wrong thing to say. Clay is MELTING DOWN, his teacher is looking at me like I'm, in fact, mother-of-the-year already.. so I grab him.. we run to our friendly neighborhood Walmart and promptly buy the first over-priced pair of Spiderman PJs we see. We changed his clothes in the car in record time and got him to circle-time just in the nick of time... disaster averted?! (but judgement NOT averted as several mothers asked me how I could have forgotten (I didn't have it in me to tell them it's impossible to forget something you NEVER KNEW!!!!) the PJs).

NOT SO FAST! So I go pick Kara up at school.. she comes running out of the building waving around an 8x11 piece of paper that looks suspiciously like an award certificate with a big smile on her face. "What have you got, Kara?", I ask. Says Kara "Remember that award ceremony I wanted to you to come to?? I got the award for Art in first grade". WTH? I remember her saying something about an award ceremony but there was nothing from her teacher or the school on this one... but seriously, feeling like a giant jackass nonetheless. Again, wondering how it is possible to forget something I was never actually informed of. Oh, and yes, there were other parents there.. just not me (and CERTAINLY not Clayton).

Considering we have 2 squadron functions this weekend and Clay having his first sleepover with Ryan tonight, I fear that I have more than ample opportunities remaining to cement in my award for the year, if not mother-of-the-DECADE, the rate things are going.

Needless to say, I am very proud of Kara for her art award and I am sufficiently repentant for making Clay forget (his words.. how I can make him forget something is beyond me) his PJ day at PRESCHOOL! Any chance I'll be able to just escape to a spa tomorrow? NONE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I had to laugh - I know it isn't funny. But you are human. You are a wonderful mother...I know I will always be fighting for that award...for sure.

Melissa said...

The irritating thing about preschool is you sign them up and pay for them to attend and then every week there is something for you to bring in, dress up as, sign up for... and it is very hard for mom's to keep it all straight! ;)
It was Target for me. 1/2 mile from E's preschool, I was often running thru that store looking for something.
I can picture Clay Clay's eyes, to funny. :)
Love you guys!!

Filleman Family said...

oh - this was good for a very needed, very hard laugh tonight!!! so funny! I can totally see the preschool meltdown - I think I would have just thrown my hands up and bribed Davis with bfast at McD's or something! Tell Kara we said great job and we love her :)

Sher said...

I still think you are a pretty great mom! And at least Kara and Clay-Clay has a mom who cares enough to forget instead of a mom who doesn't care at all! He he!