Monday, October 19, 2009

Thankful

I have been thinking a lot about thankfulness lately. Without a doubt, I (we, my family) have much to be thankful for. Really, as much as I gripe, I realize my life is a walk in the park compared to lots of families out there. This last weekend, a friend of mine in Italy (they're stationed at Aviano) had a friend die right after she gave birth to her baby boy. She was healthy. Her baby is healthy. But she still died. Her husband now has a 1 year old son and a newborn son to raise on his own. I can't get this family out of my mind!! My friend Laurie always talks about how giving birth is dangerous business even though American MDs are good at heading off most catastrophes (I said most, I realize someone out there has a horror story to share). But I never for one second imagined any other outcome after my kids were born other than the one I had: some pain and sleepless nights. I can't get it out of my head how this family's life changed in the blink of an eye. I get that we're not guaranteed tomorrow. I do get that. I just have been thinking about how fragile life is. I have had a husband go into combat 3 separate times. I know what it's like to watch the news and hold your breath when they talk about plane crashes; how it feels to feel lightheaded when the doorbell rings at odd times during the day/evening. By the grace of God, there haven't been any catastrophes for us and, for that, I am grateful. At any rate, I'm going to link you guys over to a blog by a dad (also AF) who recently lost his wife after a battle with breast cancer. His blog is amazing. Even more amazing is the post he posted about the family in Italy. I guess I'd ask you to join with the many praying for these military families. Maybe you'll feel more thankful with me. http://bandssullivan.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, so sad - I checked them out from Corby's page as well. The guy whose wife died from breast cancer - amazing blog. So incredible how amazing their hearts are...can't even imagine.

Amy Filleman said...

Its funny that you are talking about this tonight. Today at work, I hung up the phone and cried for a pt who had to make a decision I pray no one I know will ever have to make. Once again I wonder if I can hack it in a sector of medicine where kids and moms die. And it happens much more often than you know. But, God does not call us into places that He does not equip us for. This means you as a AF wife, Clayton as a pilot, me as a nurse. God has been so good to us all.

Susan said...

I have been following the Sullivan blog for weeks...actually before Sara, the wife passed away. I was so blown away by her bravery to fight cancer, find out she is pregnant, carry a baby going thru all of that and her husband detailing it on the blog...amazing. I have friends that know either his family or the other and pointed me to the blogs...it is just so sad. There is no way to even comprehend that kind of loss...I remind myself daily that could have it so much worse and for every struggle with Zach, it is a cakewalk compared to so many families with much bigger problems...Love to you!

Cynthia said...

I can't stop thinking about Corby's friend either! In this day and age, I never think about women dying in childbirth, but I guess it still happens. I just had an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness this morning as I was rushing to work too, as I passed by a man digging through trash right in the middle of suburban, manicured Mountain View. I truly have much to be grateful for.