Saturday, February 26, 2011

Goings On........

Hello from a warmish Alaska (30s)... we're getting all kinds of sun these days, in fact, our days are pretty regular.. however, we're gaining so much sunlight, it won't be long until we're down to 3 hour darkness at nights (my least favorite). BUT, when the nights get short, that means our visitors are coming soon and that is our FAVORITE part about Alaska summers :)

We're trudging along on our Daddy-less days. As the kids get older, the TDYs get a little harder (for them, they're all the same for me). Fortunately, the skype works pretty well where Clayton is at so, despite an 18 hour time difference, we get to "see" Clayton almost every day. That definitely makes it easier. I think he's doing pretty well where he's at. And so are we. We're staying busy despite 4 day school weeks and spring break coming up in a week. We have some plans in the works to make the time go faster and I think it will be a fun week in the end.

The kids have been snowshoeing at school these last few weeks. Yesterday, I went snowshoeing with both classes. I don't know which class did better.. the kindergartners complained a lot more but had fewer problems keeping the snowshoes on. The 2nd graders went farther but it seemed like they couldn't keep their shoes attached to their feet.. Anyway, it was fun and both the kids were glad to have me along. I for sure like watching Clay with his classmates.. especially this one little girl who drives him nuts. She is the CUTEST thing and it makes him crazy when I ask about her..

I have been skiing with my friends, dog-sitting Trooper for the last week and keeping the kids and cats alive. At the end of the day, we all go to bed fed and I feel like that is a successful day! I'll attach some pics of what we've been doing (I know, you've been waiting with bated breath.. well, wait no more). Book a trip to AK!!!!!!


Beautiful downtown Anchorage at sunset.... I was on a sunset ski with Miss Kim Jones one night last week. It was lovely.

We call these excursions "ski and sip". It was really fun.. we were commiserating with both husbands out of town.
Kara and I went to a mother-daughter tea for her American Heritage Girl's scouting group. Kamdon and I sponsored a table and I dug out all my violet dishes for the occasion. It was a shabby chic kind of theme.
What could be worse than TDY Daddy? For Clay, it's when his buddy Ryan is also gone for a week to Hawaii. Ryan brought Clay snorkeling gear. It was a huge hit on land... we'll see how it does in the water when we go to hawaii ourselves in April.
Kara's class on their snowshoeing expedition around the elementary school..

Later the same day, snowshoeing with the kindergartners around the school... that's Clay looking at the camera.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are finding things to pass the time while Clayton is gone. Praying for you all. Love and miss you all. Have fun in Hawaii! That will be a great trip!

Carrie said...

Sounds like you're surviving....maybe even thriving?!
Hope the time is zipping by and you'll be Hawaii together soon!