Monday, February 22, 2010

Anatomy of a Homecoming

So Clayton actually came home yesterday... as scheduled, no delays. In fact, he was 15 minutes early!? I do believe we've used up all our good luck on this one TDY return, but we'll take it. I'm still smarting from my spar with the volcano last year :) Obviously, this month-ish TDY was broken up nicely by our time in AZ, but it is always nice to have Daddy home. We actually got to meet him at the jet yesterday afternoon (after thinking we were going to miss it since they were ahead of schedule). I had my camera but, naturally, the batteries were nearly kaput and I only got this one picture:

However, it's better than nothing and the kids were stoked to be right next to the jet while Clayton was shutting it down and unloading.

You may be wondering (well, I'm sure you aren't.. but you know I'm going to tell you anyway) how we get ready on the homefront end for a Daddy Return?! Well, this time was pretty typical. The last days are always the slowest so we scramble for things to keep us busy. I try to get the house clean (fruitless) and keep it clean (pointless). We had a full weekend leading up to The Return. On Friday night, Kamdon and the kids came over to watch movies and play. Just minutes before they arrived, I was putting some garbage in the garbage can and I sliced one of my fingers WIDE OPEN on a green chili can lid (at least chilies are acidic, therefore naturally antibiotic). I swear to you I saw the fascia underneath my skin. I couldn't get Jackie or Karen (my personal oncall surgeons) so I had to call Kamdon to stop at Walmart for some Liquid Stitch. OUCH! The cut is right above my knuckle so I knew there weren't going to be any stitches. Karen called later and confirmed my care plan. All's well that ends well :) Saturday was cleaning day and that night, Kamdon and I met a friend at the movie tavern. GOOD TIMES! Sunday, the longest day of all, we ended up spending some QT at McDonald's. We were the only loser moms there on a Sunday morning so I have no interesting observations for you :) We got the kids home in time for a short rest before jetting off to Elmendorf to find Daddy. I don't know why the last 2 days are the longest but they are!!! When you're on vacation, it's the opposite, the last 2 days FLY BY! Anyway, the blessings of safe flying and another safe homecoming are not lost on us and we thank God for the grace of safe returns once again.

I'll close with an action shot of Clay at his ice skating lessons.. He is thoroughly enjoying himself although I'm not sure how much actual progress is being made. He does seem to be spending less time on his hiney so I'll call that progress for now.

(that's Clay, in the upper left hand corner, on his hiney...)
We're currently taking reservations for the summer. Act now!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Clayden made it home safely. Being single stretches for an eternity...Jake is leaving for two weeks in April...it will be brutal (I am sure) and Hugh will be so done with me (in about five minutes). Praying for you all. Look forward to the next visit...which I am sure will be next summer since I'll be as big as a house this summer.

Amy Filleman said...

Good thing you called your sister who is a nurse. Who has done time in surgery and sports medicine and could have helped. Oh wait...you didn't. Glad Clayton is home.