Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Major Fokker





So Clayton pinned major about 3 weeks ago... and about a week ago, there was a pinning ceremony at the 302nd FS.  It is customary for the person promoting to provide the food/beer for the festivities. SO, last Thursday, for the 3rd week in a row, I made food for another party. Fortunately (for Kamdon, at least), the squadron took care of the cake.  I scrambled for the better part of 2 days getting food together and I think it turned out yummy.  The folks at the squadron ate most of it, so I was glad about that...  It was pretty cool that my friend Jackie's husband, Brian Silkey, emceed the pinning.  He was one of the IPs when Clayton did his F16 training at Luke.  He said some nice things about Clayton and he also passed on one of his major rank pins to Clayton which Clayton thought was really cool.  Obviously, when two separate friends offered to keep Kara and Clay for the occasion, I fully took advantage of their offers.  HOWEVER, when I showed up w/out my kids, Brian says "Well, who is going to pin Fokker's other shoulder?  We had Kara down for that."  I looked at him and said "I don't know?  You??"!!  SEE, this is why Clayton should always tell me exactly what/who to bring and how  much!!!!  Anyway, the whole thing went quickly and well.  I laugh when I think of Major Fokker... once, when Clayton found out he was going to pin, he was skyping w/Troy and I could hear Troy laughing going "You're going to be Major Fokker.  HA HA HA HA HAHA".  Funny ;)

Major Fokker and spouse (the PC Air Force term for little woman).

I hate this picture.. it is SO unflattering but it does show us doing our Johnson-ghetto style of pinning (actually untaping the old captain bars).
Congratulations to Clayton :)

In other news...
The biking saga continues.  After being scared off from a back-woods hike by signs warning of a "very aggressive momma grisly bear who is charging people on this trail", Clayton finally relented and bought a cheapo trailer for his bike.  Kara is a good little bike rider but she is not ready for 10 mile and longer rides... as for Clay-Clay, he is still pretty lazy so there is NO CHANCE of him biking even 3 miles ;)  Now, we can bike together as a family (cough, cough).  After much fanfare and unnecessary ado, we headed out on our first Griswold.. I mean Johnson...family bike ride on Saturday afternoon.  Clayton thought we should ride to Target from our house, a little longer ride than Kamdon and I did on Monday.  I wasn't sure that was a good idea but we headed out.  Clayton was riding his muy expensivo bike he bought on Ebay last summer for the first time.... when we were about 5 miles from home, his handle bars came loose.. too loose for him to continue riding.  What did that mean?!  It meant that mom, me, had to ride home the rest of the way, get some tools (not a good idea) and bring the Tahoe back to pick up Clark, Rusty and Audrey.  I rode as fast as my jello legs would go, but it wasn't fast enough for Clark... I mean Clayton.  Oh well, we'll try again another time.  I'll leave you with pics of my new bike and Clayton's new bike... for no particular reason except to give you visual proof that I actually am riding a bike now ;)

My new wheels
Clayton's Ebay deal
Our ghetto trailer that is nearly too small for both our kids.. their butts are almost dragging the bottom when we're riding!  And you parents out there can imagine the bickering that occurs in such a confined space.  JOY!! BLISS!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you seriously make me laugh. Too bad Major Fokker left his only "Major" flight suit in New Mexico...so Clayton. Love you guys! (I am trying to talk Jake into the bike and bike trailer...we'll see.)

Susan said...

THANK YOU!!! I needed a good laugh and you gave it to me. Oh that wwas great!!! Congrats to Clayton...I will have a Major Miller he house in August or September I hear...I am glad it went well...hugs to you!

Steve and Donna Douglas said...

Congratulations to Clayton on his promotion!

Unknown said...

My brother will pee in his flightsuit when I tell him about Major Fokker! HAHaHa Sooo funny! Congrats to Clayton! I guess that officially makes you old. :) Love, T

Darcy said...

Ok, so I know this is probably dumb, but I don't "get" the Fokker name, can you please explain it to me???
AND, congrats to Clayton, and April, your blog always makes me laugh :-)

AprilJ said...

A Fokker is a WWII German fighter.. however, the real meaning behind the name is related to the move "Meet the Parents".. the main character in that move is a nurse named Gaylord Focker, so the running joke through the whole thing is: "Focker is a male nurse". Well, when Clayton went to Fort Worth, they decided to name him Fokker in honor of the movie with the male nurse since he is, in fact, a male nurse. Those guys in TX thought it was hilarious that a male nurse ended up flying fighters.. stupid but true. And, naturally, Clayton loves it.